Meeting Family Care Grants
Apply for a Grant
The Psychonomic Society is introducing a Family Care Grant Program designed to support attendees who incur extra family care expenses (i.e., extra daycare, babysitting services, elder care, or care of a family member with disabilities) necessary to attend the annual meeting. The Society is offering $500 USD grants to help defray those additional expenses.
Eligibility and Terms
All members with one or more dependent who requires childcare, elder care, or care due to disability are eligible for this grant. Preference will be given to applicants in the early stages of their careers or for whom attending this particular meeting is especially important for professional development (e.g., it is a critical point in the tenure trajectory or a student or post-doc is on the job market). In the future, preference will be given to those who did not receive funding in the previous year.
- Grant recipients must be current member of the Psychonomic Society
- Grant recipients must be registered for the 2017 Annual Meeting
- Only one parent/caregiver for a single family may apply.
Reimbursements will be distributed after the Annual Meeting. Each recipient must complete a Reimbursement Form included with the award notification and submit it with scanned original receipts by email no later than two weeks following the event. Reimbursement may be requested for eligible expenses up to the maximum amount of the grant. Expenses that exceed the amount of the award are the sole responsibility of the recipient. No funds can be distributed until after the meeting, and no funds will be distributed on site at the meeting.
- Care at the meeting site.
- Increased expenses at home incurred because the primary caregiver attended the meeting (for example, overtime at a daycare center, cost of a sitter, etc.)
- Travel for a babysitter (or family member caregiver) to the meeting or your home.
- Transportation to the caregiver.
- Travel and other expenses related to the attendee's participation in the meeting (including registration and other expenses that would otherwise be incurred to attend)
- Tickets to museums and other attractions
- On-site transportation
- Family care (nanny, babysitter, after-school care) not related to meeting attendance
- Travel for the child, children, or adult who accompany the parent/caregiver to the meeting city
- Pet care expenses
The Psychonomic Society reserves the right to deny funds to applicants who misrepresent their need.
Changes in Circumstances
If the need for a grant changes after submitting an application, you must notify PS to explain. You will be notified if your need is still eligible for funding.
Nursing Mothers' Room
The nursing mothers’ room at the Vancouver Convention Centre West is Room XXX; the key is available at the main PS registration desk. The room is equipped with comfortable furniture and a private area for nursing.
For other special needs or accommodations, please contact Valerie Ickes, our meeting planner, prior to the meeting to discuss your specific needs.
Apply for a Family Care Grant