You are invited to submit nominations (including self-nominations) for the position of Treasurer of the Psychonomic Society. The current Secretary-Treasurer, Ruth Maki, will step down at the end of December 2016 after completing two three-year terms. The Governing Board split this position in early 2016 and Reed Hunt, University of Mississippi, has been appointed secretary. We are now seeking nominations for the Treasurer position. The incoming Treasurer would begin training late 2016 (which would involve shadowing Ruth as she completes her duties) and then would take full responsibility in January 2017. A search committee consisting of Aaron Benjamin (Chair), Cathleen Moore, James Pomerantz, and Lou Shomette (with Ruth Maki, ex officio) will identify the leading candidates from among the nominees for consideration by the Governing Board.
The Treasurer is the officer assigned the primary responsibility of overseeing the management and reporting of the society’s finances, including funds, property, and related financial matters. The duties are not onerous or extensive but they are important to the functioning of the Society. The Treasurer shall see that books of account are kept and that internal control is maintained to properly reflect all financial transactions of the Society. The Treasurer has following important duties specific to its role, including:
- Examines financial statements prepared by the Executive Director (Lou Shomette) and management company on a monthly basis.
- Ensures alignment of all financial objectives with Strategic Plan goals
- Reviews bank statements and checks on a monthly basis.
- Approves payments to The Rees Group, our management company.
- Approves payments over $1,000, including wire transfers.
- Reviews Executive Director’s credit card charges on a monthly basis.
- Participates in all Finance committee activity.
- With the Finance committee, reviews annual budget presented by executive director, as well as statements from the investment brokers on either a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Approves money transfers from bank/investment accounts, as needed.
- Assist auditors with questions/information. Reviews outcomes of annual audit in conjunction with Audit Committee.
- Serves as an ex officio member of the Governing Board and participates in up to three meetings a year (spring teleconference call, summer meeting, and fall meeting.)
- Serves as an ex officio member of the Audit and Finance committees.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Governing Board or Executive committee.
No experience with the types of responsibilities above is required, though you should list all related and relevant experience in your nomination statement.
As the Treasurer’s primary role involves financial management, we are seeing these qualifications:
- Financial literacy
- Attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A willingness to ask questions
- Sufficient time to fulfill the requirements of the position
- All nominees must be a Fellow in good standing of the Psychonomic Society
The Psychonomic Society is seeking a three-year commitment with the possibility of a second three-year term extension.
A rough estimate of the total number of hours per year required by the treasurer position is about 60, not including travel, committee meetings, and the annual meeting of the Society. The stipend is $2,000 per year, and costs associated with travel and lodging at the annual and summer meetings will be reimbursed, according to the Society travel policy.
To nominate yourself or others for the position, please send a complete application before September 30, 2016 to Aaron Benjamin at SecTreasSearch@psychonomic.org. Applications should include your name, contact information, a letter of application addressing your qualifications (organizational abilities, flexibility, and willingness to commit the time required), a curriculum vita, and two letters of recommendation addressing your qualifications. Letters of recommendation may be sent separately by recommenders. To nominate another member, please supply the name and contact information for your nominee, and we will contact the nominee directly. The Governing Board highly encourages the nomination of individuals from underrepresented groups.
Chair-elect, Governing Board
Chair, Treasurer Search Committee
Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign