UPDATED: PS-WiCS Travel and Networking Awards for Junior Scientists
Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Posted by: Psychonomic Society
The Psychonomic Society and Women in Cognitive Science
Travel and Networking Awards for Junior Scientists
2018 Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
November 15-18, 2018
Presenting one’s research at professional meetings such as the Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society is an important way for individuals to become known in the professional community and to develop collaborative relationships with other professionals in the field. Given the relatively short time frame of the tenure period, it is essential that individuals begin to appear at professional meetings early in their careers. Therefore, the purpose of this award is to provide funds for graduate students, postdocs, and assistant professors to participate in and network at the 2018 Meeting of the Psychonomic Society, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, November 15-18, 2018.
Funds are available for up to 5 awards of $1000 each.
Applicants must be:
1. A woman scientist of any nationality
2. A graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, or assistant professor
3. Presenting a talk or poster at the 2018 Meeting of the Psychonomic Society
To apply, submit the following to the Travel Award Committee:
1. Evidence of a submitted paper or poster abstract.
2. A networking plan. This plan should identify one or preferably two senior scientists with whom the applicant would network at the conference; although only women scientists are eligible for this award, the targeted senior scientist(s) can be of any gender. The plan should also include the specific goals to be accomplished with targeted scientist(s) (e.g., develop a collaboration, exchange research ideas, receive input on experiments, a grant proposal, or a manuscript), and should describe the relevance of this to the applicant's research program. The plan should be approximately 2 pages long (single-spaced, using a 12-point font).
3. Provide evidence of agreement from the networking target(s) to carry out the plan.
4. A current CV
Conflicts of Interest:
1. Applicants must not be applying to work or network with a member of the WiCS Advisory Board
2. Applicants must not be current (or former, within the last 5 years) trainees of current members of the WiCS Advisory Board
Submit all materials at WiCSNetworking2018@gmail.com by 5 PM ET on August 15, 2018.
Awards will be announced on or around September 15, 2018. Winners will be honored at a ceremony at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society in New Orleans.
Winners are required to submit a report on the meeting and networking experience. The deadline for submitting the final report is December 15, 2018. Reports should be submitted to WiCSNetworking2018@gmail.com.
Decisions will be made by the WICS Travel Awards Committee (Penny Pexman, Chair, University of Calgary, Angela Gutchess, Brandeis University, and Laura Thomas, North Dakota State University).
Funding for this program comes from the Perception, Action, and Cognition Program at NSF, the Psychonomic Society, and the Society for Experimental Psychology and Cognitive Science (APA Division 3).