National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology
The National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology is an annual conference for teachers of psychology. NITOP is an independent, nonprofit, educational organization. The NITOP organizing committee invites distinguished speakers based on nominations from past participants, expertise in topics related to the teaching of psychology, and demonstrated skill in presenting. Presentations include workshops, concurrent sessions, and general sessions on topics of interest to psychology teachers at all levels, from high school through university. To assist these teachers in improving their effectiveness and enhancing their students' learning, the Institute program offers content updates, new instructional techniques, and engaging activities.
NITOP 2021 is scheduled for January 3-6, 2021 at the TradeWinds Island Resort in St. Pete Beach, Florida, USA. Visit the NITOP website to learn more.
The PS-sponsored talk is a 50-minute presentation (followed by Q&A) that should address a topic relevant to any aspect of teaching psychology or improving student success in psychology courses. At least two kinds of PS-sponsored talks are appropriate for NITOP:
- A discussion of research aimed directly at improving instruction or student achievement (such as effective strategies for improving critical thinking or effective techniques for note taking); or
- A widely-accessible overview of research that focuses on a topic taught in psychology (i.e. attention, perception, memory, language, comprehension) and includes a discussion of ideas on how to effectively teach the topic to college students.
- Present your work during a one-hour session. Your room may have up to 400 attendees.
- Be a judge for the poster awards (attend each poster session).
- Be actively engaged with attendees at lunches.
- Promote Psychonomics to the audience with a slide at the end of your talk.
2021 Nomination Process
The call for nominations closed on April 15, 2020.
The Psychonomic Society seeks nominees for consideration as a sponsored-speaker for the 2021 NITOP Meeting.
Your abstract (500 word limit) should focus
on any aspect of your work that you feel would benefit teachers of
psychology, and represent the Psychonomics universe. Self-nominations are welcome and encouraged. The nominations will be reviewed and a speaker selected by summer 2020. Self-nominations are welcome and encouraged.
Previous PS-sponsored NITOP speakers
42nd Annual NITOP Meeting
January 3-6, 2020 | St. Pete Beach, Florida
Improving Student Success - From the Classroom to the Lab to the Classroom to...We Need to Talk!
Donald J. Foss
University of Houston, USA
41st Annual NITOP Meeting
January 3-6, 2019 | St. Pete Beach, Florida
Why Effective Techniques May not Help Students Achieve: Challenges for Implementing Cognitive Principles in College.
Kent State University, USA
NITOP is an independent, non-profit organization whose conference is co-sponsored by the Association for Psychological Science and the University of South Florida. NITOP brings together about 400 psychology faculty members. Sessions update participants on psychological science and provide them with fresh ideas for updating their courses and improving their teaching. You can learn more about NITOP from their website: www.nitop.org.