Last Updated: 6/4/2018
Who We Are. For the purpose of applicable data protection legislation, the data controller of your personal information is Psychonomic Society, 2424 American Lane, Madison, WI 53704 USA.
Personal information is that information you give us, such as your name, postal address, telephone number or email address. The Psychonomic Society collects and stores the personal information in a secured database.
Personal information includes name, institution, address, telephone number, fax number, and email address collected when you join the Psychonomic Society as a member, register for an event, or purchase a product. Email address may be collected if you contact us with a question.
Other information that may be collected can be technical information such as the IP address, session activity, and web browser used.
HOW PSYCHONOMIC SOCIETY USES THIS INFORMATION
We use the information we collect in the following ways:
- To establish your membership record when you join, renew, or reinstate your membership.
- To register you for a conference, webcast, or educational event.
- To deliver services, such as educational programs.
- To provide you with information about the society.
- To alert you to special offers or upcoming events.
- To process your order, and if necessary, to contact you about your order, membership, or registration.
- To help us create and publish content most relevant to you.
- To access our journals on our publisher’s (Springer) website through single sign on.
- To contact you regarding new, enhanced, or additional services or features, such as notification of upcoming meetings, awards, new programs, and/or initiatives and relevant information.
- To request your feedback about your experience with the Psychonomic Society.
- To send you promotional communications. You may opt-out of receiving such information at any time: such marketing emails tell you how to "opt-out."
- To send you administrative communications. These may include administrative emails, confirmations, technical notices, updates, and security alerts.
- To respond to your comments and questions and provide you with user support.
- To allow you access to members-only areas of the website.
HOW WE SHARE THIS INFORMATION
The Psychonomic Society membership directory is available only to current members of the society in a members-only section of the website. Participation in our member directory is optional, and you must give us consent to include your information in our member directory. Personal information will not be released to third parties except to further member benefits and to comply with the law, for example:
- To fulfill a member service, such as releasing information to the journal publisher to ensure each member receives access to the journal. Personal information will be accessed when responding to an email inquiry.
- To third-party service providers who maintain the association website, provide abstract management services, meeting apps, election, association management system, and management company.
- To complete a purchase for any product offered by a third-party provider.
- To protect against potential fraud, personal and credit card information is verified through a third party credit card processor.
- To comply with applicable laws or to comply with lawful requests or court orders and legal process, including responding to requests from public and government authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- For other society related functions, such as abstract submissions, award consideration, and meetings registration.
- We require third party vendors to verify that they do not use the personal information for any other purpose than to provide the administrative services outlined in their service contract.
When we use the term "anonymous data," we’re referring to data and information that doesn’t permit you to be individually identified, either alone or when combined with any other information available to a third party.
We may create anonymous data from the personal data we receive about you and other individuals whose personal data we collect. Anonymous data might include analytics information and information collected by us using cookies. We make personal data into anonymous data by excluding information, such as your name, IP address, and email address, that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this anonymous data to analyze usage patterns in order to make improvements to our website and service offerings.
FORUMS AND PUBLIC POSTING AREAS
Please note that any information you include in a message posted in a forum or other public posting area is available to anyone who visits the website. Please be very careful when deciding to post publicly identifiable information, such as email address in any public forums.
The Psychonomic Society uses website security measures consistent with current best practices to protect its website, email and mailing lists. These measures include technical, procedural, monitoring, and tracking intended to safeguard data from unauthorized access, loss, or misuse.
Credit card information is transmitted using secure socket layer (SSL) encryption. The Psychonomic Society does not store or retain credit card information about our clients. However, our service providers may store such information on their sites. Information about how your credit card or other financial information is stored can be found on those sites.
Should any indication of misuse occur, the society will move quickly to isolate the problem and restore functionality. The society will notify the relevant authorities of any incident of misuse. In the event of a data breach, we will notify affected subjects in accordance with law and best practices in a timely manner.
The Psychonomic Society uses Google Analytics, a service which collects information anonymously and reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. Google Analytics uses its own cookie to track visitor interactions. To learn more about the information collected by Google Analytics, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.
The Psychonomic Society uses Google reCAPTCHA, which identifies bots by collecting hardware and software information and sending that data to Google for analysis. To learn more about Google reCAPTCHA, please visit https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/invisible.html and https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
Opt-out. We communicate with our members regularly through email. We confirm payments via email, send information about membership dues, awards programs, workshops and symposia, conference registration payments, or other programs and initiatives. We limit the use of these types of email to ensure clear lines of communications.
However, we will also update members and recent members about new products and services, upcoming events, abstract submission deadlines, and other general information about the association and its annual business. Each of these emails will include an “unsubscribe” link that will allow you to opt-out of any promotional email. We caution that once you have unsubscribed, you will no longer receive promotional email from the society. You can’t opt-out of receiving administrative communications.
Access. You can access the information we hold about you at any time by viewing your membership record on the website http://www.psychonomic.org/ or by contacting us directly at +1 608-441-1070 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amend. You are able to correct any inaccuracies in your membership record through the member-only section of the website. Or you can contact us to update or correct any inaccuracies in your personal information.
Erase and forget. In certain situations, for example when the information we hold about you is no longer relevant or is incorrect, you can request that we erase your data.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at email@example.com, or by calling us at +1 608-441-1070. In your request, please make clear what personal information you would like removed, or whether you would like to exercise your right to have your record completely deleted. For your protection, we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as possible.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting the change or deletion unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (for example, for regulatory purposes).
2424 American Lane
Madison, WI 53704 USA