Donate | Join/Renew | Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In
Share |

60th Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society





Keynote Address
2019 Program
2019 Registration

Special Events
Affiliate Meetings
Mobile App

Hotels and Venue
Family Care Grants
Explore Montreal

Press and Media

2019 Program Committee
Future Meetings
Past Meetings

Travel & Visas

Maple LeafTravel Pre-Planning

Before your trip, make sure you have the right travel documents for entering Canada. You’ll need a valid passport, and in some cases, a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization which you can apply for online.


Maple LeafVisas

Electronic Travel Authorizations (eTA) or Visitor Visa: 

As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA. U.S. Permanent Residents possessing a Green Card or valid permit to re-enter the United States require an eTA. You may need an eTA before you board your flight to Canada, even if you are just transiting through the country. Once the application process is complete, most applications are approved within minutes of submission. If you do not receive immediate approval, you will receive an email from the CIC with instructions for completing your application. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. To find out if you need an eTA to travel to Canada, please visit: 


eTA Application Process 

To apply for an eTA please visit: To apply you will need a valid passport from a visa-exempt country. You cannot apply using a Refugee Travel Document. U.S. permanent residents can apply with a valid Green Card, U.S. Refugee Travel Document or a valid permit to re-enter the United States. They will also require a passport from their country of nationality. 


Citizens of the following countries require a visitor visa to travel to Canada: 

Afghanistan, Argentina, Brazil, China, Columbia, Egypt, India, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, Ukraine, and United Arab Emirates. Citizens of Taiwan are required to hold a passport with a national identification number. If you are a citizen of the Republic of China and do not hold a passport with a national identification number, you will require a visa.

Effective December 31, 2018 all nationals from visa required countries will be required to provide a biometric. The cost is $85CDN. 

Citizens of the following countries do NOT require a visitor visa to travel to Canada: 

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, British Citizens, British National (overseas), British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom), British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in on of the British overseas territories of (Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands (Malvinas), Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, Saint Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands), Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Honk Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (must have a national Israeli passport), Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Romania (electronic passport holders only), Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan and include a personal identification number), United Arab Emirates, United States, Vatican City State (must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican).


Visitor Visa Application Process 

To apply for a visitor visa, please visit: 

If you are required to travel with an eTA or visitor visa you should: 

  • Get it when you plan your trip – do not wait for the last minute to apply in the event there is a delay (see Travel documents), and travel to Canada with the passport you used to get your eTA or visa. 
  • Travelers with passports from visa-required countries and territories need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada. 
  • If the application is not approved within minutes, traveler can expect an email from IRCC within 72 hours of applying advising what the next steps are. Note that Visa processing time doesn't include: the time it takes to send an application between a VAC and our office and the time you need to give your biometrics.


If you are a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of a visa-exempt country or a citizen of a visa-required country, you need to travel with your Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or permanent resident travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada. If you require a business travel letter, please email the Psychonomic Society’s headquarters immediately at


Are you admissible into Canada? 

To consider your admissibility to Canada, Canadian officials assess your crime according to Canadian laws. They look at the nature of the offence, how long ago the act took place and whether any sentences were imposed. A misdemeanor offence in the United States is not automatically considered an equivalent offence in Canada. The final decision about your admissibility rests with the immigration or border services officer. Normally you cannot enter or stay in Canada if you are inadmissible. However, there are ways of overcoming your criminal inadmissibility. 


If you are inadmissible, you may become admissible again if you: 

  • satisfy an immigration or border services officer that you meet the legal requirements to be deemed rehabilitated; 
  • apply for individual rehabilitation and get approved; or 
  • receive a pardon or record suspension. 


You may also be offered a temporary resident permit if: 

  • your reason to travel to Canada is considered justified in the circumstances; and 
  • you do not pose a risk because of your inadmissibility. 


Visits considered justified could include family emergencies or business conferences. Pleasure trips are normally not considered justified in the circumstances.

If an attendee has questions, concerns, or needs assistance with eTAs, visas or inadmissibility to contact us


Maple LeafWeather

Temperatures cool down in Montréal over the fall months of September, October and November, and things get a little rainy as well. But overall, the climate is quite mild, with temperatures ranging from a sunny 21˚C (71˚F) on a sunny September day, through to a rainy 6˚C (44˚F) in later months. Check Montréal current and historical weather conditions online here.

Maple LeafWhat To Wear

Plan on dressing in light layers, and pack a rain jacket and an umbrella for wet days. If you’re thinking about heading up to the local mountains, make sure you bring a warmer layer as well as gloves, scarf and a hat. Bring some good walking shoes – Montréal is a great place to explore on foot!



  2424 American Lane • Madison, WI 53704-3102 USA
Phone: +1 608-441-1070 • Fax: +1 608-443-2474 • Email:

Use of Articles
Legal Notice

Privacy Policy